N squared

I'm really behind on spring cleaning, on this second day of July.
But today I woke up
needing closure and a new start
so I rummaged my drawers for your letters
for all the keepsakes I kept of you
thinking, is that all you were?
an image of something that should be
would be
good to remember?
And I've found all of you there
stuck between the sides of old wood
everything you mean to me
is on paper, you know.
Then I cleaned.
I cleansed my space of old
to make room for the new
thinking, this is life in a nutshell
and this is love on pieces of paper
and these are postcards of conventionality
hiding true thoughts of lust and longing
so I sealed you in an envelope with a quick lick
to put you away for my future
not for nostalgia
not for sorrow
not for pain
not for rainy days
not for the grandkids
not for my ego
but just to... remember.